Lewes District Churches HOMELINK (hereafter referred to as “HOMELINK”) was founded in 1998 to assist people within the Lewes District Council area who find themselves homeless or threatened with homelessness, for whatever reason.
About Data Protection
The processing of personal data is governed by the Data Protection Act 2018 (“DPA”), the UK’s implementation of the General Data Protection Regulation. It exists to protect the rights of individuals in relation to the processing of their personal data. ‘Personal data’ is information which relates to identifiable, living individuals, whether those data are stored manually or in computer files. ‘Processing’ includes the collection, storage and use of that information.
Data Protection and HOMELINK
HOMELINK takes your privacy very seriously. We ask that you read this privacy notice carefully as it contains important information about what to expect when we collect personal information about you and how we will use your personal data.
HOMELINK holds and processes personal data about you in your capacity as:
- Trustee, volunteer or employee;
- Regular and occasional subscriber, donor or supporter;
- Applicant for assistance or tenant holding HOMELINK loan; or
- Referee, Guarantor or Accommodation Supplier.
What data do we process?
HOMELINK processes data that may include the following, as required: name, contact details such as address, telephone number and e-mail, bank details, church attended, employee details such as NI number, tax code and pension details, etc.
How do we use your personal data?
HOMELINK complies with its obligations under the “DPA” by keeping personal data up to date; by storing and destroying it securely; by not collecting or retaining excessive amounts of data; by protecting personal data from loss, misuse, unauthorised access and disclosure and by ensuring that appropriate technical measures are in place to protect personal data.
We use your personal data exclusively for the purposes for which it was obtained, i.e. in connection with:
- a person’s employment or voluntary service with HOMELINK;
- a person’s support for the work and activities of HOMELINK;
- the provision and administration of loans or other assistance to applicants and tenants.
What is the legal basis for processing your personal data?
We process your personal data under the following legal bases:
- So that we can comply with various legal and contractual obligations. This includes financial information including:
- donations; and
- NI number, tax code, pension details.
- So that we can pursue our legitimate interests of helping people who find themselves homeless or threatened with homelessness, specifically:
- for the purposes of managing HOMELINK’s day to day business; and
- maintaining ‘membership’ records and contact details for communicating information about HOMELINK activities, e.g. via Newsletter or email.
Sharing your personal data
Your personal data will be treated as strictly confidential and will only be shared with other parties for purposes connected with HOMELINK as described above. We will only ever share your data with third party organisations if we have your explicit and informed consent.
How long personal data is held by HOMELINK
We consider our relationship with volunteers, supporters and other stakeholders to be life-long. This means that we will maintain a record for you until such time as you tell us that you no longer wish us to keep in touch.
- gift aid declarations and associated paperwork are held for 10 years after the calendar year to which it relates; and
- loan related data is held for 10 years from the final repayment of the final loan.
Your rights and your personal data
Unless subject to an exemption under the “DPA”, you have the following rights with respect to your personal data:
- To request a copy of your personal data which HOMELINK holds about you;
- To request that HOMELINK corrects any personal data if it is found to be inaccurate or out of date;
- To request your personal data is erased where it is no longer necessary for HOMELINK to retain such data;
- To withdraw your consent to the processing at any time;
- To request that we provide you with your personal data and, where possible, to transmit that data directly to another data controller.
HOMELINK relies on individuals to assist with keeping their information up to date where this is relevant to their involvement with HOMELINK: for example, changes of address or bank account by a volunteer or subscriber, or a tenant holding a HOMELINK loan.
If we wish to use your personal data for a new purpose, not covered by this Data Privacy Notice, we will provide you with a new notice explaining this new use prior to commencing the processing and setting out the relevant purposes and processing conditions. Where and whenever necessary, we will seek your prior consent to the new processing.
To exercise all relevant rights, queries or complaints please in the first instance contact HOMELINK at firstname.lastname@example.org
How You Can Help
We rely on our volunteers to keep HOMELINK running. If you have skills and experience to offer, for example in administration, IT, Social Media, fundraising, as a trustee, etc. we would love to hear from you.
In order to help as many people as possible into secure housing we need your support.
Please donate now and help someone leave homelessness behind for good.